The Historic Hempstead Plains - Nassau County Long Island.
Camp Albert L. Mills - Garden City Long Island
Camp Mills received its name in honor of Major General Albert L. Mills - Chief of the Division of Militia Affairs. Major Gen. Albert L. Mills passed away suddenly of pneumonia, on September 18, 1916. His accomplishments were:
- Served in the Spanish American War and was wounded. Received the Congressional Medal of Honor.
- Served in the Indian "campaigns".
- West Point graduate and later superintendent of West Point.
- Various posts in the War department.
- Originated the system of Federal aid for the Militia.
- Planned the Federalization of the National Guard.
1) NY Times.