Camp Black - Garden City, Nassau County 1898
Camp Black was formed on the Hempstead Plains, in March 1898, in support of the Spanish-American War. Camp Black was bounded on the north by Old Country Road, on the west by Clinton Road, and on the south by the Central Line rail. Camp Black was opened on April 29, 1898. The first regiment to occupy Camp Black was Co. H of the 71st Regiment. The Camp officially closed on September 28, 1898.
|Fighting 69th drilling in column formation at Camp Black - from the Nassau County Museum Collection.5|
|New York 13th Regiment at Camp Black - from the Nassau County Museum collection.5|
1. "The Long Island Rail Road in the Spanish-American War", Comprehensive History of the Long Island Rail Road, chapter 21, Vincent F. Seyfried
2. "The Little Warof Private post", By Charles Johnson Post, Little and Brown publishers, C 1960
3. Joe Hourigan's Web site.
4. Army's Center for Military History
5. Nassau County Museum - LISI photo collection, #9974 Camp Black - 13th regiment, #6964 Camp Black Fighting 69th drill.
EMAIL: webmaster @ hempsteadplains.com
Back to Main Page
This page in progress.